Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Just when you think....BAM!


Do you have goals in life? Do you set out to accomplish something, and work extremely hard towards finishing that goal?

Life is not predictable. We have all had experiences that changed the way things were going in life.

I had one of those experiences just two weeks ago....

It was a sunny Monday morning, and things were going as usual; woke up, fed and dressed the kids, ran my usual 5 miles on my treadmill, showered and got ready for work, went online to work on a few school assignments and made my lunch for work. It was 9:30 am, time to leave for work. Drop off the kids at daycare by 9:45, and head off to work in Mankato, 50 miles from home.

I was cruising along probably listening to the oldies, and thinking that this was going to be a good day, when suddenly I looked up to discover that my car was flying off the road over a steep embankment. I began flipping over and over. Blasting through brush and trees. I finally landed at the bottom of the bank in a field. I touched my face and felt my legs. I was fine, my car just rolled twice going 60 miles an hour over a bank, every window was cracked. I was covered in glass. I pulled the key out of the ignition and began searching for my phone. Everything had been thrown from the car - except me, I was wearing my seatbelt. Within a few minutes a man was running down towards me asking me if I was alright. Yes, I'm fine, I was shaking terribly, and wanted to find my phone so I could call my husband. After a few minutes, I tried opening my door, but it was smashed in. So I crawled over the passenger seat and out the other side of the car. Thank God my kids were not in the car.

About 4 hours later, I was released from the emergency room with whiplash. But no broken bones. I couldn't believe I was going to be o.k.

Now, 2 weeks later, I am still out of work, I have an injury in my neck which is causing a great deal of pain. I can't move around a whole lot, but I'm still going to be fine.

I haven't had a paycheck for 2 weeks now, and my doctor tells me I won't be going back to work for at least another 2 weeks.

My insurance company paid my car loan off, almost. and is hopefully covering all of my medical bills.

I need to find the money to purchase a new vehicle somehow, and also pay the bills that are stacking up as I sit at home. I'm wishing I could go back to playing with my kids, running and working.

I'm an active young mom who is full of energy, so this has been very difficult for me.

My disability application was denied because I have not been with my current employer for 12 months.

My insurance company will give me a loss of wages check for $250, which barely covers 2 days of work!

I was in a position where life seemed to be going along smoothly, and here I am, knocked back to square one, trying to figure out how to make ends meet.

Is this what life is supposed to be like?

It's an adventure, a struggle to always find balance and harmony.

Where I go from here, I'm not sure.

I'm so thankful to have survived that car accident with minor injuries, and I should hopefully fully recover from this. My husband has been amazing too.

But it's an upward battle to find the financial balance. It seems to be one step forward and two steps back, always!

No comments: