Thursday, August 13, 2009

The decision; Self-Employment

Coming from a self-employed background, the idea of one day becoming self-employed has always been in the back of my mind. But I can't deny that the looming idea has also caused hesitation and fear. Do I want to spend countless hours doing bookwork instead of design work? I am indeed a passionate graphic designer, I am the queen of independence, I love my own space and my own time - I love the feeling of waking up in the morning to a huge design project waiting for me. I could sit at my computer and design for hours on end. But there is much more to self-employment then the job itself. There are taxes, invoices, advertising, time management, and of course the income to worry about.
I made the decision only 3 days ago, to take the plunge and go full time as a self-employed graphic designer. This decision did not come easy, and it took time.
Of course, this decision has been 3 years in the making! I obtained my graphic arts degree, and began thinking about where to go from there over 5 years ago.

Here are the steps I took to becoming self-employed;
Education
Tested the waters by designing for family and friends at little or no cost.
I gained industry experience by working for a publishing company.
Worked in the layout and publishing industry for a newspaper.
I learned how to communicate with clients in a professional manner.
Learned the process of concept to completion.
Experienced what works and what doesn't.
Began networking.
Started a website.
Started a blog.
Came up with an identity.
Came up with a business name.
Designed a logo, again, and again!
Advertised.(newspaper ad, facebook)
Advertised again. (local newspaper and web)
O.K. Advertised again. (local mailer)
I have a feeling I will be advertising again!
Organization - I have a set schedule for work hours.
Children - daycare schedule/costs
Husband - we are on the same page!
Networking some more - emailing, calling, search engines, blogs...you name it!
Client list.
Price for my services.
Copywrite issues.
Lots of reading and research.
Countless hours on the internet.
Designing. OF Course!

Finally, the decision was made. I was spending more time designing, than I was working at my full time job. Time to go on my own, and make it work.

Hard work and Determination. (this will be ongoing:)



No comments: